This is one of the most traditional recipes of Turkish cuisine. Almost everyone loves ‘karniyarik’. If you love/eat meat and aubergine and like to have a bit of challenge in the kitchen, then this is your recipe.
- 250 gr. minced meat (Beef or lamb)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 green peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 garlic
- 4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of paprika paste
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste
- 4 aubergines (skinny and long)
- Frying oil
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 2 green peppers
- Peel 3 or 4 lengthy strips from the skin of the aubergines as you see on the picture and leave them in salty water for the time being.
- Chop 3 green peppers, onion, garlic and tomatoes finely.
- Heat the olive oil in low heat and add onions and keep stirring them until pink. Then, add peppers, minced meat and garlic, carry on cooking them until the meat is nice and brown.
- Add your mix of paprika and tomato paste, salt and black pepper to the same pan.
- Last, add the tomatoes in the mixture, stir well and leave them cooking altogether for 5 more minutes until the juice evaporates.
- Heat the frying the oil and fry aubergines lightly. Make sure all sides are lightly fried.
- Open the belly of aubergines with a slice but not all the way. See the picture.
- Arrange your aubergines belly side up and fill them with the stuffing until bellies are full.
- Garnish your stuffed aubergines with cherry tomatoes and a slice of green pepper.
- Preheat the over at 170 degrees and cook your stuffed aubergines for 30 minutes.