Veggie fries lovers here! If you are not on a diet and love your vegetables fried, try them in a tomato & garlic sauce. There are many ways of preparing ‘Saksuka’. You may add more vegetables or prefer to use less variety; might add onion to its sauce or simply leave it garlicky like I did.
- 2 aubergines
- 5 sweet green peppers
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 large potato
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 cup of frying oil (I prefer olive oil that is suitable for frying for extra taste)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika paste (use only tomato paste if you dont have this)
- 1 spoon of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Fresh mint to garnish
- Peel and chop all your vegetables into small cubes. Separate your aubergines to a large bowl with salty water
- Heat your oil in a large pan and first fry your potatoes, then carrots, courgettes, aubergines and lastly your green peppers.
- Lay a paper kitchen towel on your service place and transfer your fried vegetables there as you go. The towel will absorb the excess oil. You may remove the paper towel carefully before pouring the tomato sauce on your fries.
- Next, you peel and chop your tomatoes finely and cut your garlic to thin slices.
- Transfer the mixture of chopped tomatoes and garlic to a pan and add salt, sugar, paste and vinegar. Let them simmer stirring occasionally until you get rid of the juice of the tomato leaving a creamy sauce.
- Pour your tomato sauce on top of your fries. You may prefer serving this way or gently stir in the sauce into the vegetables. Garnish your dish with fresh mint.